‘My education shaped me’ - Ephraim Gordon, South African film director and producer

 

Driven by his childhood passion for storytelling, 36-year-old film industry trailblazer, Ephraim Gordon, has accumulated numerous accolades for his productions, one of which was selected for South Africa’s official submission to the Oscar Awards in 2022.

Born and raised in Paarl in the Western Cape, Ephraim's exciting journey into the arts began in his first year of high school when he was selected as a bursary candidate to attend Bridge House School, a co-educational independent school in the beautiful Franschhoek valley.

“My father applied after seeing an advert in our local newspaper, and I was thrilled when my application was accepted,” he shares. “I expected a big transition, however after becoming a full-time boarder at a small school with a nurturing and close-knit community, I found it easy to connect with others.”

Ephraim emerged as a leader from the get go, and was elected as Head Boy in 2005. He had a profound positive impact on the school community, and was admired and well-respected by his peers. He was presented with a number of awards, including one of the school’s most prestigious - the Values Award.

“During my years spent in boarding school at Bridge House I developed valuable life skills, and I was exposed to many different cultures and perspectives,” says Ephraim. “The school instilled in me determination, tenacity, resilience and the drive to succeed, and this has carried me through some of the most difficult situations in my life.”

After graduating with an honours degree in Theatre and Performance at the University of Cape Town in 2009, he went on to achieve leading and impactful successes in the field of acting, and producing and directing for stage, television and film.

“Since I was a young boy, I have been interested in the arts. When I was a young child I played the violin, then during my high school years I was able to further develop my creative talents which led me later to build a career in film.”

Ephraim co-founded two award-winning production companies, PaperJet Films and Nagvlug Films. His aim was to tell stories that change the narratives around Coloured communities in South Africa, and shift the focus away from the violence with which these communities are often portrayed.

In November 2021, he and his co-founder, Amy Jephta, received international acclaim with South Africa’s first Muslim film produced in Afrikaans. The National Film and Video Foundation selected their multi-award-winning MultiChoice film, Barakat, as South Africa’s official submission for Best International Feature for the 94th Annual Academy Awards – otherwise known as the Oscars.

“I was beyond proud to have been selected, although it was quite unexpected. To be recognised by South Africa in this way was so rewarding, and I was proud to have taken this story to the international stage.”

Reflecting on his entrepreneurial path in the film industry, Ephraim acknowledges the challenges he has faced, including the competitive nature of client relationships and limited resources.

“I was able to navigate these hurdles because I was fortunate enough at high school to learn the art of communication and adaptability. These skills, amongst others that I was taught, have been pivotal to my success,” he explains.

Ephraim continues with his writing, directing and producing of award-winning film and television that are based on his personal experiences, and to create more opportunities for other industry creatives. He is especially passionate about empowering young South Africans who aspire to create a successful career in the arts.

“I encourage young people to embrace new learning experiences and explore innovative solutions,” he concludes. “Education is a lifelong endeavour and one that never ends.”


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment