TALIE MONIN’S DEBUT ALBUM SCOOPS FOUR NOMINATIONS AT THE MZANTSI JAZZ AWARDS


South African born and international jazz vocalist, Talie Monin (as she is known in the jazz world) has been nominated for Best Jazz Album, Best Jazz Song, Best Contemporary Jazz Album and Best Female Jazz Artist at the 3rd Mzantsi Jazz Awards. These four nominations come from her debut album '24 Strathay' which was released in January 2019 by Luna Ma Records.

Talie (Nqobile Mchunu originally) explains that 24 Strathay is an address in Westerville, Durban. “This was the place where my earliest memories of music were created. It’s where I was starting to sort of have a relationship myself with music in terms of what do I like, what do I not like, the musicians that I’m drawn to. It’s all there. So it felt right to me as a debut album to sort of pay homage to that first time, to that first place and how it’s propelled me further from there,” she adds.

A standout vocalist since her earliest days growing up in Johannesburg, Talie won numerous local singing contests before releasing her album, which reflects both her deep African musical roots and her longstanding love for the Great American Songbook and contemporary jazz.

Although the album ’24 Strathay’ was launched in Hong Kong, some of Talie’s music from her debut album found its way to South Africa where she performed at the Mbogodo Jazz Festival in Durban during woman’s month in 2018, mesmering the audience that attended the festival.

Expressing how her music has been received by the South African market, the Montreux Jazz Festival Audience Choice Award-winning vocalist says, “The demand has been amazing! People have been asking where I have been.” She adds: “Now that I’ll visiting South Africa in August, my next goal now is plan a launch in my home country after the Mzantsi Jazz Awards. Also, I hope that my people will continue to support 24 Strathay by voting for me to win the Best Jazz Album and Best Jazz Song categories.” 

The Mzantsi Jazz Awards, set to take place on 10 August 2019 in Johannesburg, aim to celebrate, appreciate and honour jazz as a musical form that not only entertain but also uplift and heal the artist and the listener alike. They also aim to recognise excellence in Jazz music for work produced by South African Artists from 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019.

Two of the four categories Talie has been nominated in are public votes. To vote for Talie for Best Jazz Album or Best Jazz Song, SMS ZaJazz BJ4 or ZaJazz BS1 respectively to 40439. Supporters outside of the South African borders can SMS ZaJazz BJ4 or ZaJazz BS1 to +27741550374. Voting closes at 6pm on August 10.

For more information, follow Talie on these social media platforms:

·         Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/taliemonin/

·         Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/talie.monin/

·         YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPocELCKzIU29EGMdJS_0eg

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment